Our beloved Greenpoint Library closed to the public in July 2017 and disappeared behind a high construction fence for a much-needed overhaul. The new building is not scheduled to open until possibly Summer 2019. In the meantime, Brooklyn Public Library meets regularly with the Greenpoint Library Community Advisory Committee. Here are some updates shared at last Wednesday’s meeting.
- New Learning Opportunities: Brooklyn Public Library was awarded their last Greenpoint Community Environmental Fund grant! They will be hiring a consultant to develop lesson plans for multiple age levels around environmental science, train staff, and buy related program supplies. The same grant will also allow them to hire an intern for 12 weeks to acquire digital files of the remediation reports.
- Construction: the Brooklyn Public Library ran into more asbestos in April, likely from the coal chute from the Carnegie building, and it stopped work for more than a month as they waited for permits to dispose of the contaminated soil. Brooklyn Public Library has done their best to make up for lost time, and paid crews to work on Saturdays in June and July. They are still working on finishing the foundation and footings, and hope to start installing the steel beams this month.
- Tell Your Story: Acacia Thompson, the Outreach Archivist, held her first community scanning event on June 23rd and has been recording oral histories by appointment. More scanning events are being planned. In addition, the public can contact Acacia directly with ideas, to schedule an interview, etc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brooklyn Public Library continues to serve the Greenpoint neighborhood with:
- The Bookmobile near the Greenpoint Library on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11 AM to 4 PM;
- Story times at the YMCA on Tuesdays at 10 AM for toddlers and Thursdays at 10 AM for babies; and
- A pop-up library at the Park Church Co-op on Tuesdays and Thursdays (3-6 PM), Saturdays (10 AM-1PM) and Sundays (12 PM-3 PM with a Sunday story time at 12:30 PM).
- Brooklyn Public Library also offers the Green Series of monthly free eco-inspired programs at nearby Leonard Library in East Williamsburg.
- Filmmaker Winslow Porter Discusses “Tree”, Thursday, August 23 from 6:30-8:00pm
- The Band Books, Tuesday, August 28, 4-5 PM
* * *
Go Green BK’s Previous Posts on the Greenpoint Library
- SUBTERRANEAN LIBRARY BLUES by Jamie Hook, January 24, 2018,
- A NEW LEAF FOR GREENPOINT’S LOCAL LIBRARY by Romey Louangvilay, November 3, 2017